Microwaves - Troubleshooting/FAQ

Why won't my microwave oven run?

Is the door completely closed?

  • Firmly close the door.


Firmly close the door. 

  • Remove spacer, and then firmly close the door.


Is the electronic oven control set correctly? 

  • See "Microwave oven control" section in your Use & Care Guide. If you do not have your Use & Care Guide.


On some models, is the Child Lock (on some models) set? 

  • See "Child Lock" section below.


Is the magnetron working properly? 

  • Try to heat one cup (250 mL) of cold water for two minutes at 100% cooking power. If water does not heat, please contact us for service.


Child Lock (on some models) 

  • The Child Lock shuts down the control panel pads to prevent unintended use of the microwave oven. When the control is locked, only the Vent Fan and Light pads will function.


To Lock/Unlock control: 

  • The microwave oven and timer must be off. Touch and hold Cancel (on some models) or Start (on other models) for five seconds until two tones sound and a lock icon appears on the display. Repeat to unlock and remove the lock icon from display.

Can I use aluminum foil in my microwave and if so, are there tips for using it?

 

  • Aluminum foil and some metal can be used in the oven. If not used properly, arcing (a blue flash of light) can occur and cause damage to the microwave oven.


Metals approved for use

Racks and bakeware supplied with the microwave oven (on some models), aluminum foil for shielding, and approved meat thermometers may be used with the following guidelines: 

  • Do not allow aluminum foil or metal to touch the inside cavity walls, ceiling or floor.

  • Always use the turntable.

  • Do not allow contact with another metal object during cooking.


Metals not approved for use

Do not use the following metal in microwave ovens:

  • Metal cookware and bakeware

  • Gold, silver, pewter

  • Non-approved meat thermometers

  • Skewers

  • Twist ties

  • Foil liners such as sandwich wrappers

  • Staples

  • Objects with gold or silver trim or a metallic glaze

How can I tell if a dish is microwave-safe?

Follow the directions below to determine if a dish or utensil is microwave safe.

  • Fill a cup with water.

  • Place the cup in the oven on or beside the utensil in question.

  • Microwave for one minute on high.

  • If the water becomes hot and the dish remains cool, the dish is microwave safe. If the dish heats up, it should not be used for microwaving.


Note: You cannot have one cup of water in the microwave with a power level of 10 for more than two minutes. If you leave it for more than 2 minutes, there is a higher risk of spontaneous boiling.

  • If both items fit in the oven without placing water on the utensil, the test results will be more apparent. This happens because some heat will be generated downward and the utensil may become warm. This would be a normal condition.

How do I clean my microwave?

  • To minimize the possibility of electric shock, unplug the microwave from the power supply before attempting any maintenance or cleaning.

  • Spills and spatters clean up easily with a damp, soapy paper towel or sponge. It is best to clean soil as soon as it appears. Baking soda and water may also be used.

  • If the food has cooked onto the interior, heat one cup of water on full power for three minutes. The heat and steam help to soften the food. After the three minutes, allow five additional minutes stand time then clean as usual. A non-abrasive scrubbing pad cleaner works well for stubborn stains.

  • You may use mild dish washing liquid or cleaners specifically listed for cleaning interiors of microwave ovens.

  • For stainless steel interiors of microwave/convection models, we recommend a plastic, soap-filled scouring pad. Rubbing gently with this pad will help remove soil.

  • For the door surfaces (both interior and exterior), we recommend you use only mild, non-abrasive soaps, or detergents applied with a sponge, or soft cloth

  • For the control panel wipe with a soft, damp cloth. Dry immediately with a soft cloth. Do not spray any solution directly onto the controls.

Why is there moisture on the interior of my microwave oven?

  • Condensation inside the unit is normal and especially prevalent when cooking foods of high moisture content for extended periods of time either inside the microwave or on a cooktop beneath an over the range microwave.

  • Steam and vapor escaping from around the door is normal.

  • If minimal moisture is noticed between the glass, allow the microwave door to stand open for approximately 15 minutes to accelerate the dissipation of the moisture. If the moisture does not evaporate in a reasonable amount of time, contact our service department for assistance or to schedule an appointment.

How do I replace the oven light in my over-the-range microwave oven?

To minimize the possibility of electric shock, unplug this appliance from the power supply before attempting any maintenance or cleaning.


To replace the oven light in most models:

  • Disconnect the power at the main fuse or circuit breaker or pull the plug.

  • Remove the top grill by taking out the two screws that hold it in place.

  • Remove the screw that secures the light housing. It is located above the door near the center of the oven.

  • Replace the bulb with a like bulb.

  • Replace the light housing screw and grill.

  • Connect the electrical power to the oven.

Why isn't my turntable operating?

  • The turntable can rotate in either direction to help cook food more evenly. Do not operate the oven without having the turntable in place.


Has the tape been removed from turntable hub?

To install turntable:

  • Remove tape from the hub.

  • Place the support on the oven cavity bottom.

  • Place the turntable on the support. Fit the raised, curved lines in the center of the turntable bottom between the three spokes of the hub. The rollers on the support should fit inside the turntable bottom ridge.


Is the turntable properly in place? 

  • Make sure turntable is correct side up and is sitting securely on the turntable support.


Is the turntable support operating properly? 

  • Remove turntable. Remove and clean turntable support and rollers. Replace turntable support. Replace turntable. Place one cup (250 mL) of water on the turntable; then restart microwave oven. If it still is not working, call our service department.


*Do not operate the microwave oven without turntable and turntable support working properly. 

 

My touch control panel on the microwave oven does not work properly

  • Make sure that the microwave is plugged into a grounded outlet. It must be a 3-prong outlet.

  • Make sure the clock is set.

  • Check to see if a programming sequence was entered. Sometimes improper programming or a program sequence such as delay start can cause the touch panel to be non-responsive. Unplug microwave or turn off house circuit breaker for 30 seconds. Plug back in, or reset circuit breaker, and try reprogramming unit.

  • Check the house circuit breaker or fuse box. If the microwave is DEAD and there is no display and nothing works- the problem could be a blown fuse or tripped breaker.

Appliance Showroom is on Instagram!

We gladly accept:

© 2020 Appliance Showroom